neděle 22. ledna 2012

A Brand New Year

Meditating over my New year´s knitting resolutions 2011 I wonder if it makes any sense to make any this year. I don´t take them seriously at all. But it is nice to see that I did accomplish something: I did knit a big lace shawl (hee hee, not just one I dare say), I did knit a pair of socks (three of them!) and I did knit 5 kilometers of yarn (twice as much actually). I didn´t buy and read the book and I didn´t knit anything for charity. 2011 was a year of selfish knitting.

It is also amusing to see that some of the resolutions were way too bold. Knit a fair isle sweater? Seriously? I finally tried to knit fair isle on Christmas day and I was utterly intimidated. I guess I shouldn´t have started with 2 mm needles and fingering weight yarn. It seems that stripes are the only colorwork suitable for me.

As for stripes I wasn´t idle these past four weeks. I choosed to process my skeins of Drops Delight and Fabel. Fair isle didn´t work, I couldn´t decide on any shawl pattern that would be optimal for this yarn combination (I spent whole day swatching and frogging and swatching and frogging all over again) and I finally settled on turning the yarn into fingerless mittens and socks.


(I took this picture two weeks ago. I already finished two pairs of mittens and one sock. I hope to finish the second sock before January is over.)

Okay so let´s shift "learn fair isle kniting" to year 2012 and we have a resolution No.1.

Resolution No.2) Finish at least one project a month.
I usually finish 2-3 projects each month but this year I will probably have much less time for hobbies. New job, more work, more duties.

No.3) Release at least two patterns.
I´d like to write down a pattern for the buttony hat and for a lace shawl. The shawl will be a simple leafy and flowery triangular thing. I haven´t finished it yet. And I didn´t make proper notes while making it so I believe I will have to knit it at least one more time and debug the concept.


No.3) Mustn´t let my stash take over our small appartment.
Seriously. I used to keep all my yarn in one (huge) bag. Slowly but surely the balls and skeins and scraps and needles have infiltrated nearly every shelf and drawer. My stash is growing bigger and bigger which, I believe, is a good reason for putting myself on a yarn diet for some time. Let´s say... I allow myself to buy one skein of yarn for every two skeins I use up (the skeins must be of the same weight of course).

No.4) Force myself to knit more socks.
People love them so they make perfect gifts.

No.5) Improve myself in dyeing
And use up all the dyes I got/bought for Christmas.

No.6) Figure out some project that would get me rid of the fingering weight yarn scraps.
In my wildest dreams I´m using these scraps to make the Beekeeper´s quilt. But no... that is way too insane.

8 komentářů:

  1. Když to všechno splníš, máš u mně flašku. btw. beekeeper´s quilt je drsnej. Zlatý ten stitch blanket :)

    OdpovědětVymazat
  2. Hey Ada!
    New year's resolutions... I dont even bother to make them. I guess I know myself so I prefer to keep things to flow as they come. You did lots of things last year! And about fair isle... I think I wasn't a good idea to give it a try with such small needles. I would recommend you to start with something bulkier... it could be something in sport weight or heavier I'd say, with needles at least 4.0mm. Give it a try! Once you get the rythm and tension it becomes easy and smooth :)

    If you need any help with it dont hesitate and just let me know :)

    OdpovědětVymazat
  3. Dear Ada,
    i really love your knitting pattern Capucine, i translated it for myself to german. May I publish it on my blog? I would say, that you are the original author. And if you're interested, I would give it to you, so can can publish it by yourself. If i should to publish on my blog it would be only for private use, of course!
    I am happy if you contact me:
    andrea.anders@gmx.net
    many greetings from andrella

    OdpovědětVymazat
  4. Dear Ada, since I really love the things you do and your blog, I just nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award on my blog: http://kh-handcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award-ii.html
    Hope you are having a great day!!! :-)

    OdpovědětVymazat
  5. Hallo Ada,ich finde deine Seite sehr schön und werde bald wieder bei dir vorbei-schauen.
    ein schönes Wochenende
    LG Herta

    OdpovědětVymazat
  6. Hi!
    Well, i just wanted to stop by and say hi :)
    It has been a while since your last post here.
    I hope everything is going great!
    Greetings from the island :þ

    OdpovědětVymazat
  7. Kaatja: Tak jo! Piju koňak. :D Beekeeper´s quilt JE drsnej. Pořád o něm přemýšlím. Ale znám se a nechci, aby se mi to pak doma roky válelo nedodělané než bych se odhodlala to radši vyhodit (občas mívám vize budoucnosti, ehm...).

    Rod: Hi Rod! It definitely was a bad idea to try the fair isle with 2 mm needles. I will give it another try with bulky or worsted weight. But not now... The memories are too painful and too fresh.

    andrella: I will write you an email. ;)

    Kristín: Thank you very much! Have a great day too!

    herta: Hallo Herta, danke schön!

    OdpovědětVymazat
  8. i'd say for the fair isle do a hat, they are quick easy and amazingly fast and fun. They started as a strange thing I was scared of and now I love it.

    OdpovědětVymazat