sobota 12. listopadu 2011

First attempts

I love knitting for other people. But I hate knitting something for a person and then finding out that it doesn´t fit.

I wanted to knit my man a balaclava so he wouldn´t be cold on some of his trips to woods when it is -30°C and he´s sleeping outside (yeah, a crazy person). I used the first of these patterns, just slightly modified. I measured his head, it was only one centimeter wider than mine so I knitted the balaclava to fit my head. It fits me perfectly. But for him it is totally small (how so?!). Well, well. At least I have a balaclava for... I´m not sure for what purpose as I do not go outside deliberately when it is -30°C but at least I have a balaclava. It might be handy in case of atomic war or ice age.


Then I wanted to knit him socks. I´ve been promissing him for ages and a week ago I finally decided to keep my word. One of the reasons was that we moved from one appartment to another and all the knitting tools I could find were a bag of sock yarn and 2-3 mm DPNs. Omen. I knitted the first sock while I was on a visit at my parents and when I came home and he tried it on (tried to try it on) it turned out too tight for him. And a perfect fit for me. I was blamed that I do it on purpose so I could keep all the charming balaclavas and superwarm socks for myself.


These are the Thuja socks knitted with two strands of the supercheap "unevenly dyed" yarn I bought for experimental purposes. There really are some light spots here and there but nothing that would bother me on socks. I will use the yarn to knit the second pair for my man too.

By the way I would like to express my excitement about a package which I got lately. I wanted to treat myself and I ordered some very nice yarn (um... I had to sell my Noro Cashmere Island stash to have money for this little treat). It took a month to arrive - six days from USA to CZ and three weeks of obstructions at the customs office. Together with shipping and all the fees it was hellishly expensive. They lowered the tax limits in our country a couple of months ago so you pay additional 20% VAT and duty practically on everything. Plus the fee for the post office which kindly takes the money from you.

But back to the yarns. From left to right: 1. Madelinetosh - Lace in Glazed Pecan, 2. Madelinetosh - Tosh Merino Light in Maple Leaf, 3. Madelinetosh - Prairie in Tart, 4. Malabrigo - Lace in Mariposa.


I love it. LOVE IT! I must confess that I had slightly higher expectations for the Glazed Pecan colorway but it doesn´t lessen my joy. I think I will use the Madelinetosh Lace for knitting the Miralda Shawl and the Malabrigo Lace for the Ice Queen cowl. And the Maple leaf yarn for something with leafs on it.

7 komentářů:

  1. :))) jo, možná ta doba ledová příjde. Aspoň soudě podle včerejška. Večer jsme byli na svatomartinských trzích a málem mně z té zimy upad nos..
    Příze vypadají krásně. Zvlášť ta barva maple leaf je bohovská. Už se těším na výtvory.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  2. Já byla zrovna včera večer pozvaná (jako člen pracovního týmu) na prosincovou zabíjačku na Vysočině, takže se mi ta pletená helma nakonec bude hodně hodit. Dám si přes ni čepici a šálu a stejně mi bude tam na té jejich Sibiři zima až budu na venkovních kamnech míchat škvarky. Ale třeba budu mít štěstí a dostanu se do indoorového jelitového a jitrnicového týmu. :-)

    Maple leaf je super! Nečekala jsem, že bude tak úžasná jako na fotce, ale je. I Tart.

    OdpovědětVymazat
  3. Ay ay ay, I understand you so well! It has happened to me so many times that it is not even funny but in the opposite way... when knitting for myself. I usually do ok when knitting for someone else. I think that just now, after almost three years knitting I have come to know my size.
    Anyways... the balaclava seems to be a really fun knit, isn't it? I have been tempted to knit one just to know how to make it (since I know I would never wear it, hehe).

    Sock... I am not a good friend of socks. I always get stuck on the first one. I have a really cute sock that has been sleeping for a year and half... and the problem is that I don't feel like finishing it!

    The yarns you bought are really pretty! At least in the picture the colors look awesome! (especially the green one!). Luckily things arrive really quick to Iceland and they are usually not retained in customs for too long... the problem is the 25% VAT that I hate! Is this 25% applied to the price + shipping or only to the price of the item?

    I am really looking forward to what you will be knitting with these beautiful yarns!

    PS: Thank you so much for you wonderful words about my new lopapeysa... you're so kind! To make the pattern I used just paper and colored pens... I find it easier than using the computer. Then I used this: www.prjonamunstur.is to see how it would look like, to have an idea. How do you use excel? Did you have to install some fonts to have the symbols?

    OdpovědětVymazat
  4. Hi Rod! The balaclava was quite a fun knit. And the instat gratification kind of project. But I still preffer a normal hat - for both wearing and knitting. :)

    Don´t tell me about the socks! I am glad that I have a pair of warm socks but the idea of knitting another pair depresses me. The worst thing is that I was asked to knit it in plain stockinette. Ugh. Things we do for love...

    Customs office and post office in our country are causes of my age-longe continuous displeasure. Everything takes ages and uninsured packages often get lost "somehow". The VAT is applied to the price only when shipped by post or to the price+shipping when shipped by FedEx, DHL etc. When the price is more than $150 you pay 20% VAT plus duty fee plus 20% VAT from duty fee (when it is less than $150 you don´t pay duty fee). :-)

    As for the Excel, yes, I installed a font with knitting symbols. It was a free download. I believe it was this one. http://home.earthlink.net/~ardesign/fontdownload.htm If possible I do everything on computer. Papers tend to get lost and they don´t have the magical "undo" button. :-)

    OdpovědětVymazat
  5. I once made a balaclava for my older son - I used the same yarn like they did in the pattern
    Just like Rod, I´m not a good friend of socks - I really hate knitting socks... I don´t know why. I guess you love them or hate them?

    LOVE your new yarn! Beautiful colours! Wow!

    OdpovědětVymazat
  6. strange... A big part of my comment just disappeard? Well I made this balaclava for my older son (5 years old)... did everything like they told me to do in the pattern and it turned out HUGE! :-D He´ll be able to use it when he´s 12 years old...

    OdpovědětVymazat
  7. I guess the balaclava was designed for really big men. I used standard worsted weight yarn (as they did) and I knitted it quite tightly. I casted on 56 stitches and 64 when knitting the second for my man. They casted on 100 stitches! Strange...

    I agree that socks are love or hate issue. I´m with you in the hate team. :)

    OdpovědětVymazat