sobota 1. října 2011

Socks

My first pair of socks! I thought I would run out of yarn but I didn´t. Two yards left. Phew...


Not that I didn´t have four more skeins but you know... having to attach a new skein when you´re only a few rows to go would be annoying. So tadaaa! Fresh Spring Forward Socks.




In case you didn´t know taking pictures of socks by yourself when you´re wearing them is not easy. I just didn´t know how (HOW?!?!) to shoot them. I found one really awkward position which allowed me a very good view of them but then I realised that observant readers might figure out how it must have looked like outside the viewfinder. "Feet on the table" position is not that illustrative but it is way more dignified.

BTW the yarn was super duper cheap. 100% superwash wool, 30,- CZK per 100g skein. I bought 2 kilos here. They say it is unevenly dyed but I noticed no unevenness. And of course most of the yarn I bought is white so there can be no talk of uneven color.

Well actually it can be! I unevenly handdyed two skeins by myself.


It didn´t turn out exactly as I expected (I like it but it is not a true blood red and a true sea blue) but I think I already know how to do it so that it would turn out exactly as I expected. Maybe next time...

2 komentáře:

  1. Cool socks!! I love socks but not knitting them! I have a pair of unfinished socks in my stash basket(it's been more than a year!) and I don't feel like finishing them at all :( Maybe one day!

    Are these really your first socks? They look so perfect! You could try knitting them from the toe-up. It is really cool because it is possible to try them on as you knit them so you will always get them right :)

    Did you buy 2kg!? wow! That is a lot!! You must have super huge stash!!

    The yarn you dyed turned out beautiful! I have a friend, Kristín Hrund ( http://kh-handcrafts.blogspot.com/ ) that is making all kinds of experiments dyeing with natural things like saffron, blueberries, moss, etc. It is always a surprise to see the color she's getting!

    OdpovědětVymazat
  2. Thanks! I will definitely try the toe-ups one day. But I must confess that knitting socks doesn´t impress me much. So much effort for something that stays hidden in your shoes... Besides I don´t like knitting with DPNs very much.

    My stash is not that super huge. :-) Except for these two kilos I have maybe four or five more and that´s it. I bought this yarn purely for experimental purposes (i.e. doesn´t matter if I spoil it). I plan to buy some more white and practice dyeing.

    I checked out Kristín´s blog. She´s so tallented! I wish I had more time to read these last few days. I will definitely come back to her blog and will not just look at the pictures. :) It is very interesting.

    OdpovědětVymazat